Thursday, August 30, 2018

Arctic Fox Shaker Card and BONUS

Hi gang, 
I really love my Arctic Fox Shaker Card: It is simple, masculine, and the fact that it is a shaker-card makes it very dynamic.


First, I blended a 4.25in x 5.5in piece of Strathmore Bristol 300 series paper with a few unusual colors. Many of the cards online are bright and while I still love bright colors, I wanted something to convey a muted, masculine snow-scene. The fox looks a bit more white in real life and pops out, but what can ya do lol. I really like Weathered Wood Distress Ink as it is a nice shade of blue-gray, so I went to town with that on the bottom of the paper. Above that I used Simon Says Stamp's Cloudy Ink and Simon Says Stamp's Lake Shores. For the sky, I used my very first Distress Oxide Ink: Broken China. Yeah, that's right, my FIRST Oxide Ink.. it was pretty awesome.

I also got my metal dies ready and did a test on some craft foam. By taping a piece of purple low-tact tape to the dies, I was able to lift them all up at the same time and keep them together. I used this technique to cut the paper in the same exact configuration as the foam. (note: I don't have the sticky adhesive sheets, so I really had to get crafty)

I really wanted an arctic fox, but red and orange are some of my other favorite colors, so I figured I might as well make a twin card!


I cut the paper and put the nice side face down on the table. I used some sticky adhesive to adhere Acetate to the back; I just needed enough to cover the cut-outs. Then, I adhered the foam for “walls” and filled the cut-outs with all kinds of fun bits. I used Orange Prills, glitter, tiny beads from Recollections and Little Things’ sequins. You want to leave some room so the pieces can move about. Then, I glued the foam and placed a black 4.25in x 5.5in piece of cardstock on the back. This seals it up! The beads are trapped by the foam walls, black paper, and the acetate. 


The final step is adhering the whole thing to your card base. 
Hope you enjoy my two cards! 
Which do you like more? Red or Blue? 


Tip: You don’t have to buy acetate, you could use a cut up sandwich bag or some wrapping from something you buy. Acetate is a bit stronger and therefore less wrinkled. Keep it in a bin so it doesn’t get too dusty, or clean it before using it on a project. If you have any teacher friends, see if they will bring you some transparency-sheets, I believe that works too.

Please come back again!
-John 

Challenges: 

6 comments:

  1. Your cards are so cool! Love your combination of the letters and fox to spell a sentence - very clever. It's been a while since I made a shaker card, but now I want to do it again. As for my fave of the two - I like them both, but I am partial to bright colours ;-)
    Greetings from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did the letters -- the colors you used are perfect. Light and subtle. Great design. Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. Good Luck!

    ♥ Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Karen Bull, a design team member from A Blog Named Hero. How cheeky - love these tags! Thank you for playing along this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shaker cards! Thanks so much for joining us at A Blog Named Hero :)

    ReplyDelete